I’ve wanted to write this post for a very long time…especially because I really would like some feedback on potential shortcomings of this tool that I may have not realized.
I discovered this Retirement Planner tool on Marketwatch.com over 7 years ago and believe it is one of the best calculators out there. But interestingly, I haven’t seen anyone write/talk about which makes me think I must be missing something. I find that there’s a lot more customization available in this tool than any other tool I’ve used from Fidelity, T-Rowe Price, Personal Capital, Financial Engines, etc.
Please try it and provide me with your feedback on any concerns you have. https://www.marketwatch.com/retirement/tools/retirement-planning-calculator. This is NOT an affiliate link or something to make me money. 🙂 If it makes you feel more comfortable you can open up your favorite browser and search for “marketwatch retirement calculator”.
On a related note, you can vote for your favorite calculator on the Firewanderer Survey page.
The calculator covers you and your partner/spouse (if applicable or desired) AND for each of you it allows you to:
- Select your individual retirement ages.
- Designate current savings amount/percentage.
- Designate your current assets.
- Add future income in different buckets like one-time, annuity, or pension.
- Customize portfolio growth, inflation, tax, and longevity values.
- See spending breakdown that covers pretty much every important cost area of post-retirement life (tax, medical, discretionary).
- See nest egg growth and usage overtime.